Friday, January 23, 2009

When comics go bad

Just to switch things up I thought I'd do a post about underated characters from my favorite comic books. Most of these characters have been killed off, depowered or just ran through the ringer by writes who thought they were lame or dumb or useless. Which personally I don't understand if yoiu've got the right person writing anything can become good. I never really understood why a superhero has to have really great powers to be cool. So, anyways here's my list have fun and if you end up getting a book with one of these folks in it then I've done a good job : )
Jubilee ~ What can I say even though I'm probably one of her only fans I really really dig Jubilee. She's a mallrat from beverly hills with the mutant power to shoot fireworks and explosive charges from her fingertips. For most of the ninties she was Wolverine's sidekick and was in the X-Men and Generation X comics. She's been in all three X-Men movies (no speaking parts unfortunately) and has been in both cartoons. But, a couple of years ago the powers that be at marvel decided she was not cool and her powers suck (which in all honesty they kinda do) and during the huge mess that was the house of M crossover series she was depowered.
Doug Ramsey (cypher) ~ This guy was hated on from the first time he appeared in the comic The New Mutants mainly because nobody understood how awesome his mutant power was. Doug has the ability to instantly learn any language. I'm not talking about just human or alien langauges either. Computer langauge body language,etc. This has to be one of the best super powers ever. Alas, the wirters could never figure out a good way to show off his power and only a couple years after his first appearance he was killed off.
Cassandra Cain (Batgirl) ~ Although I haven't read alot of her comics I dug Cassie as Batgirl. She was raised by her dad to be the ultimate assassin and through lots of emotional and physical abuse he nearly acomplished this goal. However after her first kill (at the age of eight) she ran away and years later Batman and Barbera Gordon (the original Batgirl) converted her to their cause and she became the new Batgirl. During the years they did a really good job of writing her. From her learning to read to her becoming friends with Robin's girlfriend and the loss she felt when Robin's girlfriend was killed during the Batman crossover "War Games". Then this year to mess with Robin's head the folks at DC turned her into an assassin who was trying to kill him. I bet she wouldn't have turned to evil had someone given her a hug*sniff*
Well, I could go on and on, on this subject. But, it's getting late. Plus, I didn't really want to go into how lame and sadistic it is how Marvel continues to bring Jean Grey back to life just to kill her again as soon as they get the itch. It's just so messed up. Maybe one of these days the folks at Marvel and DC will realize that even the lamest characters (ahem, I'm looking at you Ambush Bug) is somebodies favorite and show the characters and fans more respect than they do now ( Joey Q, I'm looking at you). Yes, I know these a fictional characters and do not actually exist. But, I couldn't think of anything else to write about and this has been bouncing around in my head for awhile. So, I figured I'd jot it down. Maybe one day when I have the time I'll go into more detail on other characters I like who have gotten the shaft in comics and how cool they could have been if they had been written by someone with some skillz.

No comments:

Post a Comment