Monday, January 26, 2009

Next on the Tonight Show a man who can shoot webs and crawl up walls

Well, I was gonna try to come up with something that didn't include any references to Mr. Miracle today. I'm a bit scared I may become that guy that only blogs about Mr. Miracle and although he is one of my favorite characters I don't want to become pigeonhold by him either. But, I just couldn't resist talking about how of all the comic characters out there the two (at least in my mind) that have the best logic when it comes to their garish costumes are Scott Free and Peter Parker. In Scott's case he got his costume and superhero identity from the original Mr. Miracle who was an escape artist and as such it made sense he would wear such an outragous looking outfit and the same goes for Spidey. In case you don't remember Speider-Man's reason for creating his costume was so he would look cool on TV. Maybe it just me but I buy the idea alot more of people originally coming up with their fanastically splendid costumes. Just so they could look good while performing for an audience than some one like Batman (also a big fav of mine) whom decided that he could strike fear into the hearts of criminals if he outfitted all his toys and accessories with a bat motif and putting bat ears on his cowl. Of course, Batman and Mr. Miracle both abide from the first rule of superhero costumes "capes kick ass". I guess I just like the idea that both Mr. Miracle and Spider-Man started out as performers before they became heroes. To me that's a bit more interesting than the run of the mill, "well, today I got splashed with toxic waste and it gave me superpowers. So, I'm going to become a crime fighter or I have superpowers because I come from a different planet, do you have any bank robbers I can beat up? Well, that's my 2 cents on superheroes and their costumes. Feel free to disagree.

No comments:

Post a Comment