Monday, March 16, 2009

Guy and Ice's First Date

This weekend I was able to get a copy of the JLI volume 4 hardcover and reading it I realized something about Guy and Tora's first data. Now, to give a little background I had never had the chance to read this issue before for a number of reasons and I finally got that chance this weekend (Yay!). While reading it and adding in the things I've read before I came to the conclusion that one of the reasons Guy treated Tora so badly on their first date wasn't so much that he was a jerk (granted it was a pretty jerkass move). However, I think it had more to do with Guy not wanting to get hurt. I think the main reason Guy chose the place he did for their first date was to get her to reject him out of hand. One of the things that leads me to this hypothesis is what we have been shown about his childhood. Because of this childhood it is and what happened when Hal loaned him his Power Battery it would be a stretch to say that Guy probably has some issues trusting people. Which is why I feel he chose to take Tora where he did. He liked her and was starting to thinking she liked him as well and rather then deal with her rejecting him after they got to know each other. He chose to force her into rejecting out of hand and using his persona within the group to play it off as Guy just being Guy. In other words I think Guy was testing Tora. Not to figure out if she was "loose" as he claimed but, to figure out if she would stick around on him or just bail. I also feel that another factor in all of this in with how she was always going on about how she know he was a sweetheart underneath his gruff exterior (based on his personality after hitting his head looking for his ring(after the infamous One Punch)). Of course, through the course of their relationship she was able to bring out his softer side after he finally let her into his heart.

guy and ice: electric boogaloo

No comments:

Post a Comment