Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Thought on the Final, Final (for now) Crisis

Hmmm... I don't really have a post for today. So, I thought I would do some rambling on the whole Final Crisis fiasco. First off, I haven't read Final Crisis. Becuase I'm against buying crossover books. So, all of this comes from secondhand knowledge. But, from what I've heard and seen about the book on other blogs. It sounded pretty lame from the beginning. I should also mention as I wrote here: http://jaysbadfuse.blogspot.com/2009/01/i-dont-care-if-its-literature-i-just.html I'm not a big fan of Grant Morrison. Anyways, I think the biggest problem with books like this one is the whole Earth Shattering Event Thing. For one these things usually after a couple of years make your head hurt trying to explain the continuity of it all. Then there is the problem of getting new people into comics which is very hard to do when you have to give lectures on Earth - 1 and Earth - 2 Superman and who Superman Prime is and all the other useless junk about continuity that even hardcore fans shrug their shoulders at. The problem with "events" like this one is they do absolutely nothing to engage potential new readers, heck they don't even do that good of a job at engaging long term fans like myself. The biggest problem in the comic book industry these days is that they aren't adding many new readers. Of course, one of the reasons for this is making continuity dense works like Final Crisis where in order just to know who all the characters are you have to have been reading comics for the last 10 or 20 years. Well, that's my 2 cents anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment